Monday, November 16, 2015

Man, It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta

Actually, the title of this post started out as something else, but then I forgot the cliche I was going to throw out there, because I'm vaguely sleep deprived (more so than usual.) And then I got that song in my head. So hey, ear worm!

I won't bore you with the minutia of why I'm more sleep deprived than usual, but it involves a trip to animal urgent care with a sick kitten in the middle of the night, several child sleepovers, a husband on a business trip, roofers, and a billion other factors. What I will tell you is that I wrote a short story! It's been at least two months since I wrote a new word, mostly because of a new day job and insanity with my volunteer jobs. And more minutia.

It felt insanely good to be writing again. Several days in a row. Not only that, but it was in a genre I've been wanting to write in for ages.

Time for the ShaNo update.


My goals were:

1. Write 2 new short stories 1 done!
2. Revise the 4 short stories/flash fiction currently in need of revisions
3. Submit 6 new short stories/flash this month
4. Complete the current round of revisions on Wendigo Nights
5. Post-outline and mark needed revisions on Lonely Hollow: Synthesis

6. Decide which novel writing project I will begin writing next Barring change of mind, I've decided!

And a quick thank you for the thorough drenching of this wench last week! Sploosh! I'm still making squick sounds when I walk.

Just for fun:



How's NaNo going? Your personal goals? Get any writing done this weekend?

May you find your Muse.

24 comments:

shelly said...

My current goal has been to get up and up at 5:30 AM and write 1000 words. So far so good.

Arlee Bird said...

This past week-end I sketched out some future blog posts but now need to write them. I wrote a short story several years ago. Uh, I don't think I've been reaching many goals of late, but I'm going to Las Vegas this week. That should keep me from accomplishing any much this week.
I think I need to get really busy after that. I hope I do.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

A Beer for the Shower said...

Dammit, now the song's stuck in my head, too. And I kinda want to see Office Space again.

Congrats on the completion of the short story! Before long you're going to have enough to create your own anthology.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry about your kitten.
Glad you had a new idea for a story!

Chrys Fey said...

ShaNo...I like that. ;) Yay for finishing one short story! Good luck with the rest of your goals! And I hope your kitty is better. <3

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

My writing plans are coming along, just a tad slower than I wanted but I've gotten a lot of other things accomplished.

Shannon Lawrence said...

As an insomniac, I say bleuch, but congrats on meeting your goal!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Yes, Vegas should definitely keep you from accomplishing much. Hope you have a great time!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Right? I have an urge to watch it, too. I keep track of when I get the rights back on my stories, and I do intend to put together a collection with published and unpublished stories once I get the rights back. I've started planning and seeing what I need to do for that. Woo-hoo!

Shannon Lawrence said...

The ideas roll in all the time. It's having the mental energy to write that's been a problem! I'm hoping I've gotten through that blockade.

Shannon Lawrence said...

She's doing well. They gave her a shot of antibiotics and an injection of liquids that gave her a weird lump until it all got sucked into her system. Weird!

Shannon Lawrence said...

That sounds good to me!

Nick Wilford said...

Congrats on your new story! It does feel great to write again after a break. And I like the catchy title for your writing month!

H. R. Sinclair said...

It's sounds like a stressful time for you. I'm sorry. :( That stinks.

Congrats on getting a story done!

PS What does ShaNoShoSto... stand for?

Christine Rains said...

Woo-hoo for writing a new story! I'm having a good writing week too. Sure, I got two rejections, but I'm writing more to make up for it. So glad you had fun getting drenched. I hope your kitten is doing better.

Pat Hatt said...

Ugg, everything can sure pile up and get in the way. Awesome when time for writing is found though. Hopefully you didn't go crazy on any fax machines lol

Olga Godim said...

I finally started writing again yesterday, after a month of the worst writing block. The story I'm working on has been sitting in my head for a while, all the plot twist and the characters. Only writing didn't go anywhere, but there might be a reason. I was traveling for two weeks, and then recovering from jet lag for another two.

John Wiswell said...

Congratulations on your short stories! My own goals are wobbly right now. I'd like to resume the novel, but keep indulging in the self-care of short fiction calls for magazines and anthologies.

Shannon Lawrence said...

It really does feel fantastic. I was beginning to worry.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Things are not so bad. It was just a bad week. But thank you!

ShaNoShoStoWriEdSubMo stand sfor Shannon's Novel and Short Story Writing, Editing, and Submitting Month.

Shannon Lawrence said...

She is doing better, thanks! Good reading weeks are so good. I got 3 rejections (2 in the same day) this week, and I think if I hadn't accomplished something I'd be really down. Instead, I turned them right back around. I hope you've resubbed.

Shannon Lawrence said...

You know, as my day job involves calling medical facilities for fax numbers for part of the day, it could happen.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Blech, jet lag. I hope you're thoroughly recovered!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Short stories can certainly distract from novel writing. Er, or so I've been told. ;)