Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Wednesday Already?? & Links

Whoops! Now that my kids are out of school I'm having trouble keeping my days straight. I'm pretty sure it's Wednesday, which means I need to put out a links post. Yikes!

Yep, I just consulted with my computer, and it is, in fact, Wednesday.

Thank you, Computer.

Since I'm woefully unprepared, I'm going straight to the links.

Accepting Submissions:

Uncanny Magazine is looking for speculative short fiction. 750-7500 words. Pays $.08/word. They are only open to submissions from June 16 to June 23. (Thanks for the info, DeAnna!)

Story Magazine wants your take on their themes. This month's is Un/Natural World. No word restrictions. Pays $20/page for prose and $30 per poem. Current theme deadline is July 15.

LampLight Magazine is seeking dark fiction. They take flash fiction and short stories. 2000-7000 words (1000 or less for flash.) Pays $150 for short stories and $50 for flash. Current issue deadline July 15.

A Two Dame Production is putting together a literary erotica anthology, A Slice of Sin. Up to 4000 words. Pays $25 and a contributor copy. Deadline July 15.

Lightspeed is looking for science fiction and fantasy. 1500-10,000 words. They prefer 5000 or less. Pays $.08/word. Deadline July 15. (Thanks to John for the info!)

Splickety Havok is accepting stories for their October issue. Theme is Shivers & Screams. Fiction under 1000 words. Pays $.02/word. Deadline July 24.

Country Magazine is open for submissions. They pay $250 for stories that run a page or more. A page is about 400-500 words.

Grimdark Magazine is looking for grimdark fantasy and science fiction. Stories up to 4000 words. Pays $.07 AUD/word.

Cicada is looking for YA. Current call for submissions with the theme Ghosts. Up to 9000 words for fiction, up to 5000 for non-fiction, poetry, comics, and art. They take work from teens, too! Stories and articles pay up to $.25.word, poetry up to $3 per line. Deadline for this issue is June 26.

Blogs:

A Life Examined is doing a fun and easy blog hop the first Monday of each month. Each participant answers that month's question. Simple! July's question is: What are three things you'd do tomorrow if fear wasn't stopping you?

Any of these of interest to you? Anything to add or share? Got a teen who might like to write a story or article? Have you read any of these magazines or submitted to them? 

May you find your Muse.

29 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have trouble keeping tracks of the days all the time now that I'm retired. Will pass the links onto my daughter.

Susan Kane said...

I always think my writing is inadequate, but perhaps not.

M Pax said...

Bookmarked a few. Thanks for posting the links. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

In one week, it will be Wednesday again - mark your calendar.
I hit vacation tomorrow and I'll be happy not to know what day it is.

Kimberly said...

Time is going by way too fast for me. Thanks for all the links.

mshatch said...

Excellent links, thanks :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

One of my goals this summer is to submit to US markets, so I'm taking many notes. I just hope some of them accept international authors.

Yolanda Renée said...

Love the links, I always keep a copy, but then get distracted and don't follow up. This year I hope I change that and submit to a few!
Thanks for the hard work, and it's okay not to know the day, well, once in a while! :)

klahanie said...

Hey Shannon!

Whoops! Yikes! Yay, because I have arrived! :) Cicada is a really annoying insect that keeps a New Zealand friend awake at night with there incessant noise.

My computer indicates it's Thursday afternoon. Time zones!

Off to find my muse......

Gary

Unknown said...

Thanks somuch for the links, Shannon. Great nees about your Dad, pleased for himand for you.

Susan Kane said...

the links are great. there is only one, Country Magazine, that I have submitted something. No acceptance, sigh.

John Wiswell said...

A lot of elite SpecFic zines on your list. I'm fond of several. Uncanny has two editors that I admire to the very ends of the earth, and I'm proud to have a friend who's broken into that zine. And who wouldn't want to crack into Lightspeed and Cicada?

shelly said...

Thank you for the links. Good with the kids and writing and summer. I remember those days.

Al Diaz said...

When kids are at home, it's natural for moms to forget what day it is so don't worry too much about it. Just set your alarm for next Wednesday. Dragon Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I already do the question of the month! It's pretty cool! Jeez, I lose track of days a lot. I think it's later in the week, usually. Kiddo's got me all whacked out. Thanks for the links!!

Shell Flower said...

Have fun with the kids out of school. I love the idea of submitting to Cicada. It's really gotten cool lately. My critique group has been looking at this contest: http://amazingstoriesmag.com/2015/05/announcing-judges-gernsback-science-fiction-short-story-writing-contest/ looks pretty awesome, especially w/the SFWA membership if you win.

Shannon Lawrence said...

It always throws me when the kids are out of school. It threw me when I quit working when my son was born, too. I guess it shows you what you base your days on once you see where you forget the days.

Shannon Lawrence said...

You can't know until you submit!

Shannon Lawrence said...

It can definitely be nice to not have to know what day it is. I hope your vacation was wonderful!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Me, too! I need it to slow down.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Happy to share!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I think most of them do. Good luck!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I put deadlines on a calendar for publications I thought I was interested in for awhile. It didn't work for me as well as I would have liked. Now I just write whatever and search through the markets for something that works for each story.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I remember cicadas. We got the 17 year ones when I was a kid in Maryland. Those suckers were five times as annoying as the regular ones, because they were everywhere.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Sorry to hear that. Good luck next time!

Shannon Lawrence said...

It looks like they all open up in the summer. Good to note in the future. And I definitely hope to break into these at some point!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm trying to enjoy them while I have them!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm gearing up for this Wednesday already!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I never forget Monday unless my husband is off work. After that, all days are forgettable until Friday!