Wednesday, January 29, 2014

[Mostly] Wordless Wednesday - Snowy Oldies & Links

Today's [Mostly] Wordless Wednesday consists of a couple more photos that I've posted before. We got a lovely powdery snow the other night, but I missed the opportunity to go to Garden of the Gods for photos, so I thought I'd share some I took previously.



















Now for some links.

Accepting Submissions:

Crossed Genres will be taking submissions with the theme of Music from February 1 through February 28. (Their Food-themed issue closes January 31.) Pays $.05/word.

REUTS Publications is accepting submissions in any genre, as long as it is fiction and aimed at YA and/or NA. Full-length novels only.

Fertility Today is open to submissions. 800-1500 words. They have a list of categories for you to write to. For the most part, they seem to want articles from professionals, but they have a "My Story" section. Unsure of pay.

L'iVoire Press is accepting submissions of hunting stories. They pay $1000 per story. They ask that you submit a rough draft and they'll then work with you to edit it.

Contests:

Crested Butte Writers holds their annual Sandy Writing Competition. Open to both published and unpublished authors. A little birdie told me that they didn't get many entries in anything other than YA, so now might be a good time to enter. Closes February 10. $35 entry fee. 1st place in each category receives $60.

Kazka Press has a monthly 713 Flash Fiction Contest. The theme for February is "Journeys," with a deadline of February 20. Sci-fi, fantasy and horror. 500-1000 words. Pays $15 per story.

Blog Stuff:

Alex J. Cavanaugh is holding his Epic 2000 Follower Giveaway. This runs until he has 2000 followers. Last I looked, he was at 1975. Grand prize is a signed copy of all three of his Cassa-series books, $10 iTunes card, t-shirt of your choice from Neat-rama, and three books donated to the library of your choice. First prize is one signed copy of one of his books, $10 iTunes card, and one book donated to a library of your choice.

Ellie Garratt is looking for writers of Speculative Fiction who might like to guest post or be interviewed on her blog in February.

Anything to add? Anything to announce? News? Interested in any of the links above?

May you find your Muse.

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Awesome photos! I visited Garden of the Gods many, many years ago.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I loved our visit to the Garden of the Gods last summer though it was cut short when a Thunderstorm chased us away. I'm looking forward to going back next summer when my son is working at the Broadmoor again. It's so beautiful.

Crystal Collier said...

Beautiful pictures! There is yet another place to go on the list.

I'm wondering how I missed Ellie's announcement. Must have been reading too fast.

M Pax said...

That looks like such a lovely spot to stand and enjoy our planet.

Great list of links as always. :)

klahanie said...

Hey Shannon,

Those are very interesting photos. Unusual colour in the rocks.

I note that Alex is giving away followers. Ignore me!

Gary :)

Andrew Leon said...

mmm... snow...

Maurice Mitchell said...

It's the fence that makes it work Shannon.

Maurice Mitchell said...

It's the fence that makes it work Shannon.

Christine Rains said...

Gorgeous pictures. I need to get back into the swing of submitting short stories.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Shannon.

cleemckenzie said...

No wonder they call it Garden of the Gods. Beautiful. Thanks for the great links. Always appreciate it when a blogger takes time to hunt down helpful items.

Morgan said...

Fabulous links, Shannon! Thank you for those. And yes, loving the color with the rocks. Really lovely.

Jessica Lawson said...

Love the photos (and we're getting more snow in the Springs as I type this) and those are some great links~ thanks!

T.F. Walsh said...

Very cool images... kind of strange to see snow on a setting I expect to be in the outback:)

Anonymous said...

Nice pics. I subbed what I hope is a food-themed tale to Crossed Genres last week -- we'll see how it goes.

John Wiswell said...

Huh, I didn't know Crossed Genres was doing a music theme this year. I completely missed that on my previous couple visits. I know where this piece is going next. Thanks, Shannon!

And those photographs are something else. Shrunk to fit your post, it looks like they've been saturated thanks to the sharp contrast of colors!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Alex, GoG is one of my favorite places!

Susan, how does he like working there? If you want to meet for coffee, let me know!

Crystal, I'll take you on a tour if you get out this way!

Mary, oh, it is. I love it there!

Gary, he has so many, he can spare them! The rocks are sandstone and the rust color is from oxidation, I believe (like rust).

Andrew, bring the fam out and play in it! Given, we usually don't get nearly as much as we are right now. Not all at once, anyway.

Maurice, you like the fence pic? I was never sure if I got it quite right, but I loved it leading away into the gray.

Christine, yeah, you've been a real slacker of late. ;)

Carole, thanks for coming by!

Lee, it's a perfect name, but the "garden" part comes about because it started as a beer garden. Yep, the gold-rich folks would drive their old automobiles into the park and enjoy some beer. I enjoy looking at those black and white pics.

Morgan, I do love the red of them. We've got a lot that color around here. I enjoy parts of Utah for the same reason.

Jessica, can you believe all the recent snow?

TF, yes, even living here the snow looks weird in the desert settings. Pretty, but weird. I love to see snow on cacti!

Milo, Oh, fun! I had one I was pondering submitting to that one that I hadn't looked at in quite awhile. When I pulled it to edit, I realized it needed a complete rewrite, so I won't be hitting this theme. Good luck to you!

John, yay, great to hear! Good luck! And thanks!