Wednesday, September 5, 2012

[Mostly] Wordless Wednesday - Childhood Cancer Awareness Month & Helpful Links

In lieu of my customary [Mostly] Wordless Wednesday photos, I'm posting one simple photo as a reminder that September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.  In this house, gold is the color of cancer awareness.


Links:

Fellow blogger, Nick Wilford, is seeking donations for an auction to help get his stepson to a school that will offer the opportunities he needs.  Go here to read more about Andrew and his college hopes.

Open for Submissions-

The Rusty Nail is taking submissions of poetry, prose and artwork.  This is not a paying market, but it is a publication credit.

Short, Fast and Deadly is looking for submissions of poetry and prose.  The September theme is poetry and prose in the form of a floor plan.

One Story is open for submissions as of September 1.  Pays $250, plus 25 contributor's copies.  Literary fiction.

Contests-

The 2012 Science Fiction Poetry Association Poetry Contest is open until September 15.  There is no entry fee.  Cash prizes.  Do not have to be a member of SFPA to enter.

The WOLFoundation is having their 2012 competition.  Writing must be related to environmental issues.  Large cash prizes.  No entry fee.  Deadline September 30.

What's going on in your world?  Any news to share?  Do you know anyone who has been affected by childhood cancer?  Were you aware that this is childhood cancer awareness month?

May you find your Muse.

12 comments:

Andrew Leon said...

You know, I should probably develop a portfolio of things I can enter into contests at need, because I never have the time to come up with something when I just find out about these things.

Nick Wilford said...

Thanks for the mention, Shannon. :) We're knee deep in fundraising, and it's actually fun, because we're so excited and overwhelmed at the support that's come our way.

I'm intrigued at the idea of poetry or prose in the form of a floor plan. Not got time for anything now, though!

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

Thanks for always keeping us informed!

A Beer for the Shower said...

Even just that term 'childhood cancer' gives me the shivers. How awful. It was already bad enough having a c-word scare with the wife over something pretty minor on the cancer scale, so I couldn't imagine going through that with a child. And for the record, it was removed, and she's fine, and everything is cool. It's hard to explain this to people without them thinking she's some kind of sympathy case.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea it was childhood cancer month. I've known some people affected by it.

Thanks for the links and info.

Rebecca said...

thanks you for all the great info

Susan Kane said...

There are too many poor children cursed with cancer. I have been privileged to know a few of them. Courageous little guys. Thanks for your devotion to their cause.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Andrew, I've been thinking the same thing. I have to REALLY REALLY want to enter something to have the time within the deadline.

Nick, that one intrigued me, too, but scares me a bit. I'm so glad you're enjoying the fundraising and that it's going well! I hope everything works out for the best.

Debra, I enjoy it!

Bryan (?-I'm always afraid I'm going to get it wrong), I promise I will not view your wife with sympathy. Cancer is an evil, evil thing. We've dealt with a lot of it with my family, but a child dealing with it really magnified it for me. I never thought of it existing before then.

Medeia, I didn't know until a year or two, I think it was. I'd never heard of it.

Becca, no problem!

Susan, they are amazing, aren't they? I go to the Miracle Party each year (though I think we're missing it this year), and they never cease to amaze me. So strong and upbeat in a situation adults whine about.

unikorna said...

Thanks for mentioning the contests...I am still looking for fantasy writing contests for my short story. Good luck to you if you participate in any :).

Tina said...

Thanks for the info on all those contests...wish I had the time. Are you entering any of them yourself?
As to what's going on with me? My only news is that now my recovery has taken two steps back.
Yes, I know a child with cancer. One of my best friends runs a daycare and precious little "joe" has leukemia that he's been fighting almost three years now. He's holding his own, but it's tough to watch him suffer. I'm a certified respite giver for foster parents, so I qualify to work as her sub, which I've done a lot so I know him very well. His little brother, 3, was only 4 months old when he was diagnosed. Talk about turning a family upside down...
Tina @ Life is Good

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Childhood cancer is so devastating - for the whole family! It's great to draw attention to it and the contest info is great too!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Unikorna, I'll try to keep an eye out for fantasy contests.

Tina, I'm not entering any of the contests at this time. I may once I have a new novel, but I haven't really done any contests for shorts. My son's friend was similar. Her little brother turned 1 a week after her diagnosis. No birthday celebration for him. :( I hope Joe comes through all of this okay. I don't think there's anything more cruel than a child suffering.

Pat, thank you, and you're right. The entire family suffers. Even after remission, there is constant fear of it coming back, watching for symptoms from all of the horrible treatments and damage from them. I don't think it's ever over.